A gonzo meet report.
A friend invited me to their first powerlifting meet. It had been years since I, cloistered in the gorgeous Rocky Mountains, had witnessed this kind of spectacle. Years more since my last competition. They call them meets, borrowing from track and field, where athletes can be seen running, jumping, and throwing… athletic feats, the opposite of what happens in this so-called sport. Meet, it seems, is a long-running joke, or perhaps a misspelling carried on by the brutes who themselves organize the event for a small profit: the vicarious pleasure they expose with wide eyes, licked lips, and shouts of “UP!” The cuckoldry of iron. Had-beens in polo shirts telling meatheads who is lifting and when. Thus, powerlifting meat. Loads of it.
The drive was
ninety minutes of speeding down steep grades. The soundtrack was Bolt Thrower,
Mastodon, Lamb of God, and all else heavy and fast, interrupted by my beeping
radar detector, keeping me from another stern talking-to by a statie in a smokey
or a deputy in a ballcap. “You know how fast you were going?” Absolutely
not. Is that powdered sugar in your mustache? That trusty device has saved
more ass than the South Park Burro Rescue.
Dropping into the
Denver metro from the high country is what I imagine it was like being an angel
falling from heaven. I had screwed up big time, landing me square in the
smog-covered, oxygen-lacking, concrete and billboard hellscape that is the Mile
High City on a 95-degree day. I wore jeans, figuring they were a kind of soft
armor against the filth I’d be walking into. Who wants their calves exposed to
what might be stumbled into down here? Ticks in the brush become who knows what
in the city.
I’d been a
resident of the Front Range since I was a child and, as an adult, witnessed its
descent into madness. The kind of gym I was going to is evidence of its
decline. Not that it is a bad gym. Far from it. More so, the kind of gym. One
of those that upstanding citizens don’t go to because it resembles a cult
hideout. Windowless. One entrance. Tucked away in an industrial district. One
wrong turn and you’re in an alleyway where a body might be waiting to greet
you, hand outstretched with rigor mortis. Is that a vial of testosterone in the
poor soul's hand? No? Damn. Just another crackpipe.
The asphalt
parking lot was full. I should’ve expected that. I drove to the rear of the
building and parked in one of the few remaining spots designated for other
businesses. There was a crowd around the trunk of a car across the way from
mine. Several heavily muscled men were passing something from one to the other.
Getting out of my car, I didn’t bother to ask. Not my business, I figured,
based on their hushed voices. One side-eyed me, giving a look that said I
wasn’t invited. I nodded and headed to the entrance, noting the strip club
across the street. A common pairing for this kind of gym.
The place was
called Steel Killers or some such play on words. A tell that it wasn’t trying
to advertise itself. Those who knew, knew, and so would join. Those who didn’t,
wouldn’t, keeping out the soft, posh, upper-crust well-to-do types living
luxurious lives down the road in Cherry Creek. The kind that lifts cushioned
weights to “tone” and “not look too bulky.” Not this crowd. Not this gym. Such
a Denverite would be laughed out, that is, if they weren’t willing to whiff
ammonia before sacrificing some skin on the sharp knurling of a bloodstained Texas
Deadlift Bar. Then again, no one comes here unless they know what that kind of
equipment is and what it means.
Shade tents were
set up for the crowd outside. Dozens lounged on camp chairs, complaining about
the heat. I joined. It was an ugly hot. The kind that convinces you that the
sun hates humanity. The garage door was open, and the platform sat inside on
the loading dock. Every spectator wanted to be indoors, assuming the gym was
cooler. It wasn’t. I found my friend “D” in a small group next to the stairs. “Yo!”
I said. We hugged. He had lost eighty pounds. He’s still twice as wide as I am.
My shirt is wet with his sweat. Great.
“You missed the
squats,” he said.
“Sorry, I headed
out late. How’d you do?”
“Smoked 585…
should’ve gone for 600 but wanted to save some gas for deads.”
I nodded. “Good
idea. Let’s go inside.”
“You need a wristband.
It’s for coaches only.”
The wristband
wasn’t needed. The organizers cared about overcrowding earlier in the day but
lost control once the competition started. Every lifter had a girlfriend, a
brother, two buddies, and a stranger. Support staff. Spectators. Not of the
event, of the platform, that is. Of the warm-up area, backstage, where the
competitors were mingling. A sexless orgy of flesh wrapped in wrestling singlets
and bound in neoprene knee sleeves. Enough elastic to contain the muscle and
fat that paid to be there, and all their perspiring partners. PG-13 bondage.
Tantalizing masochism. A gateway ritual to the hardcore.
I took an
inventory of the place and compared it to my own gym. There were a few more
squat racks and benches. Dozens more barbells and specialty bars. Devices to
target this or that muscle. Heavy canvas sandbags and atlas stones that could
crush your skull with one wrong back bend and a too-long breath hold. See that
cracked upholstery on the leg press? The thing gets used too often to replace
something as soft as padding. Eventually, it’ll crumble, leaving only the steel
back. All that these monstrous humans need. My gym needs one. Then there were
the numerous holes in the drywall. I stopped counting and started imagining how
they got there. Headbutts and punches, likely. Missed lifts inflicted on the
construction by the people who, in the moment, weren’t strong enough. But hey,
they were strong enough to interior decorate.
The gym hadn’t
been cleaned in years. Maybe ever. No bother. I chugged my water bottle and got
in line for the sole restroom. It had been cleaned, but by this point in the
meet, after the squats, it looked like a snapshot of a war zone. Someone’s nose
must have blown up on them. Too much ammonia. Too much weight. Too high blood
pressure induced by anabolic steroids and obesity, making a human spring. It
was on the toilet, the mirror, the wall. Whoever almost died in there tried to
clean it up. Tried. I pissed in the pink toilet water, smiling when it turned
orange, then washed my hands and dried them on my jeans, rushing out. Lifters
were waiting. I didn’t want to be the guy who made a line of monsters impatient.
One was doing the peepee dance. He later benched 407 pounds.
The water
fountain was to the right. I refilled my bottle and drank. Warm. Gross.
Recycled human waste purified by technology and chemicals. The taste of both
made me choke. Or maybe it was knowing where it came from. Down the road, the
city’s sludge becomes its drinking water. I passed it on my way into the metro.
Didn’t think twice. Should have. I would’ve stopped at a corner store for
something leeching plastic, rather than reeking of chlorine and diluted antidepressants.
I slugged another drink and met my friend at a bench where he was warming up.
Competitors are
organized by flights. Weakest to strongest both within the flight and from one
flight to the next. The bar gets heavier as flights progress. Each lifter gets
three attempts at the squat, bench press, and deadlift. Flight B was ending
while I was waiting in line for the restroom. Mostly teens, women, and people
new to the sport. D was assigned to flight D. He began warming up while the
lifters on flight C were assembling for their first attempts. With about 20
minutes until he would be standing in line, waiting his turn to bench before
the judges, D was getting fired up. He had been chipping away at a four-plate
bench over the last few years. Steadily losing body weight while adding pounds
to the bar. Hell of a feat.
“What’s your last
warm-up?”
“Three plates,”
said D.
“First attempt?”
“Three-fiftyish.
I forgot the kilos.”
Recalling a
conversion chart, mentally scrolling down the columns, I said, “160?”
“That’s it. I’ll
go up to 175 for my second”
“Third attempt?”
“Four-oh-fiveish,
baby.”
“185 kilos. 407
pounds. Almost 408.”
“Stop bragging,”
said D with a slap on my shoulder. He sat on the bench and resumed his warm-up,
hitting 275 pounds for an easy triple. It flew up. He could’ve thrown it.
Other lifters
were using the same bench. “Put three plates on,” said the next. Another
“coach” and I loaded the bar. He smoked it. So did two others after him. Then
it was D’s turn with 315 pounds. He did the same. They were getting antsy. It
was getting hotter. Their pits were dripping sweat onto the bench, creating a nacreous
oil slick. Pointing to the wet floor, I said, “Drink up.”
“Good idea. I got
a cooler full of water bottles. Want one?”
“No,” I said,
thinking that it was already too late and that he should get the good stuff
because he’s competing. I had already drunk the gym’s water, its funk growing
on me like an IPA at a microbrewery on the outs. Swishing a sip around my
mouth, I picked up notes of birth control and sleep aid medication. Yum.
“We’re up,” said another
lifter.
The dozen or so
men lined up from smallest to largest. D was midway. Three monsters were at the
tail end. Two in matching white outfits. Shoes, socks, shirts and singlets. The
only difference was their skin. One, a fair-skinned farm boy. Probably
Germanic. The other was olive-skinned. Probably Hispanic. Behind them was a huge
Samoan that I recognized from a meet ten years ago in Utah. He’d been in the
game a long time. Stayed while I left. Ages ago, these were the champions of
competing tribes. Here today, there are no tribes. Only the unifying flag of steel,
under which we’ve all gathered to test who is the best among us. My money is on
the Samoan.
As Flight D began
their first attempts, D got more excited. “Stay calm for your opener,” I said.
“Right,” he said before putting in his mouthguard. The announcer called,
“Platform ready!” It was D’s turn. He put up 160 kilos without a grind. 175
kilos would be his. Knowing bar speed, 185 kilos would be a reach. Not being
one to instill doubt so soon, I would wait until his second attempt was
finished before trying to convince him that he should go for a lower third
attempt to secure a higher total. That’s what a full power meet is about: the
total.
“How’d 160 feel?”
“Easy!”
I nodded and
handed him a cool bottle of distilled water from his cooler. He drank half of
it. Part of me wanted to finish what was left to get the city out of my mouth. We
stood to the side to watch the next benchers, angling positions to see what the
three giants would put up as their first attempts. Each was in the low four
hundreds, with the Samoan putting up 195 kilos, about 430 pounds. D got back in
line. I stood beside him and said the usual powerlifting phrases. Little
reminders of how to bench, not that he needed them. More to keep him focused.
“Chest up. Back tight. Tight grip. Leg drive.” Yatta, yatta.
“Platform ready!”
called the announcer. D went to the bench and began setting up, doing
everything right, everything I told him. Everything he already knew. With a
handoff, D unracked his second attempt and steadied it. The head judge yelled,
“Start!” D lowered the weight slower than his first, pausing it on his chest,
waiting for the command. “Press!” yelled the judge. D pushed hard. It reached the
halfway point as fast as his first attempt. He began to grind, and grind and…
“AHH! Take it! Take it!” D jumped up from the bench holding his shoulder. The
meet director ran over to him and asked if he was hurt. “I’ll be alright,” said
D. “Want your third?” asked the director. “I’ll pass.”
As D walked up to
me, I wondered what had happened. Was it his pec? His rotator cuff? A back
cramp? I held out my hand and told him to squeeze it as hard as he could. Strength
was still in him. “You can deadlift,” I said. He smiled. “You sure?”
“We’ll change
your opener to be lighter. That way you still get a total. If you don’t
deadlift, you don’t total. If you don’t total, you bomb out. Then all this was
for nothing.”
“Right.”
“We’ll see how
the warm-ups go. Where’s it hurt?”
“Deep in the
shoulder.”
Rotator cuff.
“Probably just a
strain. You’ll be alright.”
“Think so?”
“I only play a
doctor on T.V.”
D laughed as we
walked to a folding chair that served as his campsite in the gym. Around him
was a mess of lifting gear spilling out of his gym bag. Knee sleeves, squat and
deadlift shoes, a shaker cup, a bottle of baby powder, and an assortment of
wraps and straps. He brought every piece of gear he had. Maybe it was a comfort
thing. Treat it like any other day in the weight room, and the weights will
move the same. Except they hadn’t. D got injured benching a weight he had hit
in training. Sitting into the chair, he tossed his wrist wraps into his bag,
adding to the pile of heavily used, stinking equipment. Gripping his shoulder,
D said, “What do you think happened?”
“I don’t know.
Seemed like you were tucking too hard.”
“I always tuck
hard.”
“Maybe your elbow
flared early? Tough to say. I wasn’t standing on that side.”
“Yeah, I set up super
tight on my third squat, and something happened to that bicep.”
“After the meet,
you need to reassess your form. You’re strong, but your body is different now
that you’re 100 pounds lighter. You might’ve gotten this far by luck and
caveman strength. You need to become a technician to keep this from happening,
especially with this much weight.”
D nodded. His
older son, maybe 14, began massaging his traps. I left them to go watch the
action. “Platform ready!” One of the monsters was taking their second. Stepping
into a gap between equipment and banners, I watched him smoke a clean 195-kilo
bench. 429.9 pounds, without wrist wraps. I could count on one hand the number
of times I’ve seen someone bench that heavy without supportive equipment. A
feat becoming rarer as “raw” powerlifting edges nearer its less popular cousin.
Twenty years ago, lifters wore suits of armor. That fell out of style around
the time I got into the sport. Minimal equipment became the norm. It still is,
but today’s minimal isn’t the same as it used to be. Materials are stronger and
stiffer, letting lifters get more out of their gear. Raw lifters seek heavy-duty
equipment that still meets the unequipped standard. Then they size it tight,
hoping for more assistance, even if they need to cut off their knee sleeves mid-workout.
At $130 a pair, it is an expensive gamble to stay “raw.”
I remember
getting my underwear inspected at competitions. Whitey tighties or boxers.
Strictly cotton and nothing “compressive,” lest they give some support like the
squat briefs worn by the single- and multi-ply powerlifters of the day. That’s
no longer the case, it seems. I asked the truly raw monster, naked in
powerlifting terms, if he always benches without wrist wraps. “Yeah, they just
never felt good.” He’s here competing with himself. One of the few. If he
wanted to win overall, and he could, he’d learn the equipment, how to skirt the
rules (a powerlifting tradition), and why not feeling good is mandatory for
winners. Nevertheless, he’ll win the imaginary trophy for most raw and, in my
heart, most impressive.
The platform was
ready for the Samoan. He completed a 210-kilo bench. 462 pounds. More than most
were deadlifting. That’s what makes powerlifting special. The strongest in an
area compete on the same day as those trying to become strong, using the same
equipment and cheering the same. Those who’ve been doing this a lifetime stand
around casually, knowing it's just a meet, trying to calm the nerves of those
thinking that because it's their first day on the platform, they must put up
their best numbers, lest some tragedy befall them. As if they would be banned
from the sport for being bad at it. “There’ll be another meet,” says the strong
to the newly less-weak. What I didn’t want to say to D, who, both bigger and
stronger than me, held off doing his first meet for a long time. It was his
special day. He spent years trying to be ready for it, and when it came, part
of him wasn’t. Pesky shoulders.
Others were sitting
around with D’s same look. They had missed a squat, or a squat and a bench, and
were running that inner arithmetic. Were they weaker than they thought? Were
they too ambitious? Had their coach given them bad attempts? What if their
deadlift went the same way? Maybe their opener is too heavy? There comes a
point where you cannot go down in weight, usually when the flight before yours
starts. Once you pick a weight, it’s put up or bomb out. Rarely does someone
miss their first attempt and make that lift on a second attempt. There’s a
psychological toll. The bar feels heavier. Some have, sure. But, often, a
missed first attempt is a disaster. That’s why “Open with your last warm-up” is
common advice at meets.
We had about
twenty minutes before the time limit to change D’s first deadlift attempt. He
was in good spirits. D’s two young sons and his older brother were standing
around him, doing their best to lift him up. He was sipping water, trying to
stay hydrated in this furnace. He was hours into the event. Sweat evaporated
into the air, making it rancid and humid. I could taste the jocks.
“Start warming up
your dead now so we can adjust your opener.”
“Should I just do
a plate?”
“We’ll see how much
you can get back here before your shoulder starts yelling at you.”
“Already is.”
“See how holding
the bar feels.”
“Okay,” said D,
getting up from his chair.
It went better than he thought. 45, 135, 185,
225, 275, and 315 were fast.
“How’s your
shoulder feeling?”
“Better.”
“Sometimes weight
is a painkiller.”
He laughed. “Wasn’t
an hour ago.”
D didn’t
understand what I meant. Or maybe he did and didn’t want to go down that lane. Looking
around the gym, others in his flight, the biggest and strongest of the day,
were going internal. Going to that place inside reserved for rage. Rage put
into bent bars and clanging plates. Rage they once wanted to be rid of but now
cannot be strong without. Rage held onto like a heavy deadlift. Rage that
existed before they could pull big weights. As if it called them, demanding something
of them: a chance to be seen. Having given in, they keep it shackled to a stone-walled
heart, letting their rage see the light of day when they need it to lift more weight
so they can feel a happiness that fades with the knurling imprinted on their
skin.
We loaded 365
pounds for D. It was easy. Then came 405. It went the same. “Shoulder good?” D
tilted his head side to side. He could deal with it. He wasn’t going to bomb
out.
“What do you want
to open with?”
“Whatever you
think I can do, Coach.”
I got in line
behind others to lower his opener. He had wanted to start with 255 kilos, 562
pounds. I told the man with the clipboard, “Make it 200.” He scratched out D’s
original number, jotted in the new one, and said, “Got it. Hope it ain’t bad.”
I gave a thumbs up and said, “Nothing he can’t come back from.”
Powerlifters love
a comeback story. I remember guys from my era suffering torn pecs, biceps,
hamstrings, and a multitude of back injuries. Few returned. Some left forever.
Weren’t seen on the platform again. Disappeared from the scene. Once contenders
for records, once record holders, faded stage left and died to the sport. Me.
I found D sitting
on his folding chair sipping Gatorade and told him, “You’ll open with 440.”
“Wish you hadn’t
said that.”
He was right. I
should’ve let him lift blind and give it his all. Maybe it would have moved
faster. We’ll never know.
He shrugged, “But
I know I can do that.”
“No doubt.”
D shifted the conversation
to my training. I told him it could be better and that I was on new medications
that had sent me to urgent care. Twice. “How bad is it?” he asked. “There’re good
days.” He nodded, “That’s good.” I nodded. Good is good. We left it at that.
D’s older son
walked up and said, “Dad, your flight is starting.”
“Better get in
line then.”
It wasn’t a line,
more a crowd of lifters behind the wall of banners that were the platform’s
backdrop. I poked my head around the edge stage right, looked at the screen
with the list of names, and saw D was near the start. Weaker in the order.
“Your buddy
alright?” asked the director.
“He’s pulling.”
“Alright, enough,
I guess.”
I nodded and
said, “Takes pain to play.”
He smirked and
returned to his laptop. It was an empty phrase. One of those platitudes I heard
at a gym somewhere. Something lifters say to sound inspirational and wise. As
if pain weren’t the byproduct of training and competing, instead the goal. Sometimes
I wonder if that’s how it is, how I am, chasing pain and not a pump, seeking
self-inflicted pleasure others see as strange. That’s what the gym is.
Temporary discomfort giving a glimpse of a feeling, of a place not found
anywhere else but under a bar and, some say, in the presence of that
everlasting uncreated light or the eternal absence from it. Maybe that’s why we
see stars after a heavy squat. Maybe that’s why our vision goes black after a
hard deadlift. Strain in this life prophesying our ultimate destination as gym
rats, trying to earn an afterlife in this one, buying our ticket with knurled
floggings. When heavy enough, bars whip. More of the same. Monk-like in a demented
way. The squat rack our cells.
Pushing my way
through the mass of lifters and their handlers, I told D that he’s fifth up.
“Think I’ll get cold by then?” It had been fifteen minutes since his last
warm-up. “No. You’re fine.” He was. It took another twenty minutes of attempts
before his first. The spotters and loaders were moving slow. The heat was
getting to them. The water wasn’t worth drinking, not yet, at least for the
crew. I wasn’t drinking enough. My hamstrings were beginning to cramp. Those
early signs of impending doom. Tightness behind the knee and little twinges
with every step and when shifting weight.
“D, any water in
your cooler?”
“Nah. Sorry.”
“All good. I
should’ve come prepared.”
“The water here
that bad?”
“Tastes like
drinking from the toilet.”
D smiled and
said, “You would know what that tastes like.”
I laughed. Even
when he’s down, D will find a way to lift the mood. He’s been a good friend for
a long time. I hope being here gives back some of what he’s given me. Endless
encouragement, sanity checks, and a cheerful outlook when my own was bleak. He
has that kind of sense. Not all lifters do. Too many are superficial tough guys
wound too tight as if their persona came from their knee wraps. No, for those
guys it comes from the other kind of gear. The sort being sold out of a trunk
in the back parking lot. One of those guys was standing beside me, riling up
his lifters in white singlets. “Yeah, yeah. I know…” Something wasn’t right. In
the commotion, I couldn’t tell what. The coach’s tone was reassuring. His eyes were
doubtful.
“Platform ready!”
It was D’s turn
for his first deadlift. He pulled it fast. Hit the lockout and looked back at
me, surprised. “Down!” yelled the head judge. D set it on the carpet. Three
white lights. I pushed my way to the table and met D where we negotiated his
second attempt.
“Should I go up
20?”
“485 pounds? No.”
Looking at the man with the clipboard, I said, “227.5 kilos.”
D read the chart
and said, “501.”
I grinned. “You’ll
smoke it and be happier to have hit 500 in your first comp.”
“Yep. That’s it,”
said D, pointing to the clipboard. “227.5.”
We rejoined the crowd
of lifters, their handlers and coaches behind the banners. Moving slower after
each attempt, the loaders made the big men upset and anxious. “I’m getting cold,”
said the one who had benched without wrist wraps. “Impossible, bro,” replied
another. “It’s a million degrees in here.” His reassurance didn’t land. The truly
raw guy scowled and turned away. It wasn’t yet his turn, and, having to wait, he
was sweating anxiety. Maybe a belt would’ve contained it, but he didn’t have
one.
Seeing the Samoan
in street clothes, I asked if he was bench only. (How the old men stay in the
sport.) He nodded and said, “As a guest lifter.” Guest? Little did I know he’s
been making a name for himself. I’ve been out of it a long time. “PR?” I said. “No.
I wanted 501, but it wasn’t there. Too damn hot.” The huge Hispanic guy in the
white singlet nodded. His coach said, “You’ll get it. Don’t worry.” His buddy
in a matching outfit slapped him on the back and said, “It’s yours. You’re
ready.”
The bigger, stronger
guys took their turns. One opened at 584. The rest were above 600. Each lift
was slow. The white dude in the white singlet pulled 640 pounds (290 kilos). It
was a grind. Then it was his dark-haired, dark-skinned partner’s turn. “Platform
ready!” yelled the head judge. The screen said 317.5 kilos. A hair under 700
pounds. Their coach slapped him and screamed, “PULL IT!” He stomped to the bar
and took his time setting up his sumo stance. Raising his hands overhead, he
took a deep breath before reaching down and preparing his hook grip. The guy
had learned every means to improve his chances of lifting elite-level weights. But
something wasn’t right.
He dropped his
hips, pushed his knees out, and pulled his chest high. The bar bent. The inside
plates came a millimeter off the floor. The outside plates stayed glued to the
carpet. Letting go, he stumbled back and turned to his coach. Three reds. No lift.
A missed first attempt. Disaster. Shaking his head, his coach said, “Something
was off with your setup. That’s all. Slow down, okay? Do it correctly next time,
and it's yours.”
D and I returned
to the other side of the assembling area and waited for his second attempt. “Do
you think the heat is getting to them?” said D.
“Probably. How
are you feeling?”
“Strong.”
“Good,” I said, then
sipped water and made a stink face.
“C’mon. It can’t
be that bad. Let me try.”
“You sure?”
“I’m all out of
the good stuff anyway, and I don’t want to get thirsty before my third attempt.”
“You might want some
gum or something.”
“I’ll huff
ammonia to get the taste out of my mouth.”
I laughed and
handed him my water bottle. He gulped a mouthful and coughed.
“Yee-uck! You
weren’t lying. Tastes like balls.”
“You would know.”
He chortled and said,
“Don’t pretend you don’t.”
We watched others
make or miss their second attempts. The heat was killing them. Then came D’s
turn. “Platform ready!” D put in his mouth guard, smiled so I could see the green
plastic, then whiffed an ammonia cap. He shook his head and mumbled the words, “Lightweight
baby!” sounding like a Mexican Eddy Vedder quoting Ronnie Coleman. I slapped him
twice on the back and told him 501 was his. And it was. Three white lights. He pulled
it fast. Fastest lifter of the group. Somehow he had evaded the heat, or, more
likely, his work had adapted him to it. D, a talented mechanic, had spent the
last twenty years in garages like this one. Sweating. Lifting engine blocks and
transmissions. This was an average day for him. The only difference was the
scenery.
I met D at the
table where we entered his third attempt.
“What do you
think it should be?”
“Try the weight
you wanted to open with.”
“That’s a big
jump.”
“Will you regret
missing 562, or regret not trying it?”
“What about my
total?”
“You’ve already got
one, and it’s already less than you wanted.”
“You’re right. There’ll
be another meet. Make it 255.”
The director said,
“Got it,” and we rejoined the group behind the platform.
Then came the big
men who weren’t so well off. Most missed their second attempts, including the
one who didn’t need lifting equipment. Up next-to-last was the jacked white
dude in his white singlet. He put his nose in a bottle of ammonia. When he
pulled it out, blood poured from his nostrils, staining the front of his bib. “Time?
Time?” yelled his coach, pointing to the head judge. “100 seconds!” Once the
platform is ready, you’ve got two minutes to start the lift. Blood and open wounds
are not allowed on the platform. The coach ran to the restroom and pushed open
the door, breaking the chintzy slide from the trim. “Hey!” screamed a woman’s voice.
The coach came running out a second later with a fistful of toilet paper that
he stuffed into his lifter’s nose.
“60 seconds!”
yelled the head judge.
“GET UP THERE!
PULL!”
In a white singlet
splotched in red, the hardest 310 kilo pull I’ve ever seen came up. The lockout
was barely there. In a different federation, it might not have been good
enough. But it was worthy of two white lights here. Then came the other white
singlet. The one who didn’t make his first deadlift. Now attempting the same
weight for his second. His coach, having just managed the blood fountain in one
of his lifters, was now managing expectations in his other. “You’ll get it. You’ll
get it,” he said. The huge man nodded. His bloody partner in white shook his
head and screamed, “Don’t quit on me!” Another nod. He had already been
defeated.
Maybe it was the heat.
Maybe his coach didn’t know his lifts well enough. Maybe he pulled too little
after squatting. Maybe the numbers, 699.96 pounds, intimidated him. Lifters are
like that. A weight becomes impossible the more we desire it. Once we get it,
if we do, the next benchmark is set, and it too becomes impossible. Train and
repeat until you fail the impossible. Then it becomes training out of habit,
knowing that either our bodies, our minds, or both will quit at some point. Eventually,
the lifting stops. For some, it comes faster. For others, we hold onto that knurling
as if it were medicine, because for some, it is.
He took a few deep
breaths before stepping on the platform. He slowed down. He methodically
wiggled into a textbook sumo stance. He reached down and hooked his thumbs under
the bar, clenching his fingers over top of the knuckle, squeezing a fist,
smashing his bones into the steel. Another breath. Then a grunt and a slow,
steady pull. The bar, plate by plate, lifted from the floor. The outside edge
peeled itself off last. 317.5 kilos was in the air, grinding up his shin. It
reached the bottom of his knee… and stopped. He screamed. It moved halfway up
his thigh. His coach yelled, “HIPS! HIPS! HIPS!” But they weren’t there. The bar
ripped from his thumbs and slammed into the platform. No lockout. No lift.
Three reds. He fell to his knees and honored the bar by resting his forehead on
it.
“Damn it,”
muttered the coach, trailing off in a stream of expletives as he walked to his
lifter and helped him off the floor. His bloody partner followed. He would not
attempt the weight a third time. He was the strongest at the meet but bombed
out. Tragic.
D looked at me
and said, “That sucks. I thought it was his.”
“I was rooting
for him. Missing it once made him the underdog. Would’ve been an insane finish.”
“You think I can
get my third?”
“We’re about to
find out.”
“Guess if I don’t,
I can blame my shoulder.”
“Now you’re a
real powerlifter.”
D got in line for
his third. A proper line. The crowd thinned when half the flight missed their
second attempts. My friend was the last big man standing, and even though he wasn’t
going to win, I could tell he was proud of the fact that, though injured, he
wasn’t passing on his third attempt. Four lifters were ahead of him. Two missed
their thirds, each at 250 kilos, or 551 pounds. More intimidating numbers. The loaders
moved with misery and fatigue seeping out of them. D was pacing, looking up at
the ceiling, talking to himself.
“Want baby powder
for your legs?”
“For sure.”
I grabbed the
little bottle from his bag and shook it onto his legs. He joked, “Don’t tell my
wife I let you do this.”
Rubbing it in, I smirked
and said, “I’ll give her every juicy detail.”
“Ha! She might
like that.”
“Platform ready!”
“D, you’re up.”
He put in his
mouthguard and chalked his hands, then took a hit of ammonia. Apprehensive,
I waited for his nose to erupt. It didn’t. He charged the platform. Yelled.
Gripped the bar and pulled. It flew up to his knees, where it started to grind
up his thighs. Where it stuck. The baby powder did nothing. I yelled “HIIIIPPPS!”
like it were a magic word. My incantation didn’t work. He held it a few seconds
longer, trying to finish a lockout. His face turned purple, then he dropped it.
Beaten, D turned
around and held his palms out. His calluses had torn. White chalk mixed with
the blood creeping to his fingertips like a dry desert creek born again in a
storm. As we made our way to his campsite in the gym, I asked him what happened.
Taking out his mouthguard, he said, “My shoulder. It just, kinda gave out.”
“How’s the pain?”
“Too much adrenaline
to tell,” he said, sitting in his folding chair.
Through the speakers,
the announcer’s voice interrupted. “Listen for your name to receive your medal.”
Then came the words, “It’s too damn hot. Hurry up.” Outside, the crowd laughed.
“Think I placed?”
“In your weight
class, maybe.”
“I’m going to wait
around and see.”
“Good. You should.
Even if it's bronze, it is a symbol of what it took to get here.”
“And it will
motivate me to do better next time.”
“True. So you’re
going to do another meet?”
“Once I’m healed
up, I think so. This was awesome. Thanks for coming down, homie.”
“Of course, bro.
Sorry I was late and missed your squats.”
“All good. I didn’t
need you for those anyway.”
“I see. You just
wanted me here to powder your thighs.”
D laughed and
held out his fist. We bumped knuckles and he said, “Thanks again. You heading
out?”
“Yeah, I think
so. I’ve gotta get some fluids in me. My hamstrings have wanted to cramp for
the last hour.”
A small finger
poked me in my ribs. It was D’s youngest son. About ten years old, he was a kid-sized
version of his father.
“What’s up, big dog?”
“Your zipper is
down.”
I rushed out of
the bathroom hours ago… Jeans
were a mistake. It's been open this whole time.
“Oh, jeez,” I
said, zipping myself up. “Thanks for letting me know.”
D and I hugged
and said our goodbyes.
After finding the
nearest gas station, I gingerly walked to the water section of the refrigerator
doors, babying my hamstrings with little steps so they wouldn’t cripple me. I pulled
a bottle out, unscrewed the cap, and drank half with the door still open,
spilling on my shirt. It was the coldest part of the day, much-needed relief
from the boiling box that is Denver’s most hardcore gym. I grabbed a second
bottle, paid for the two, and got back in my car for the long drive up the
mountain, returning to beauty, away from the metro’s cruel heat.
Later that night,
D texted. “Do a meet with me.”
“Maybe.”

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.