Monday, July 16, 2012

Swole Log 3: On My Own Program.

So a few weeks back I posted Swole Log: Entry Two wherein I briefly described the program I have created which I have followed for the last three plus weeks; I'm currently through day one of the deload. This is a brief write up of my experiences with this program.

It's fucking awesome. Period.

Ok, I'll go into it a bit more. But in short... that sums it up. Assuming you like to lift heavy ass weights for the majority of your time in the gym. Here's a screenshot of my Excel file , if you would like to have a look at the more numerical details of how awesome it is reference to the first link I posted above.

As some of you know I had a mandatory seven week lifting hiatus where I was forced to do primarily running. This set me back a little in my squat and now I'm certain that I'm stronger now than I was then.

So what did I not like about it?

Easily the worst part about this was the fact that I never went above 360 pounds in my squat. Very discouraging. This is due to using a "training max" instead of my actual max or an estimated max. I figure it would be smart to go about this program in much the same way as Wendler suggests in 5/3/1; and it worked well.

Some Figures:

After being done with my hiatus I went on my modified 5/3/1 and on May 19 I squatted 360x4 then on June 16 I squatted 370x3. After three weeks on my own program I squatted 355x6 on July 14. I know what you're thinking.

"But GZCL, that's less weight than what you did two months before and only two lousy reps more."

And you'd be right, absolutely fucking right. However I would like to add that two months before when I squatted that 360x4 I didn't do the following immediately prior:  3x3 at 340 lb, then 4x2 at 345 lb, followed up by 5 singles at 355 with the last set being as many as possible... that very last set being when I got 355x6.

I dare say that I got stronger.

In fact, when I squatted that 360x4 my previous sets were 285x5 then to 325x3. If anything my endurance at percentages close to my 1RM has gotten much better; as well as my strength. Just for shits and giggles, a 635 lock out. 

But what about my bench and press?

Well I ended up tying my PR I had prior to "The Hiatus" of 180 lb on my shoulder press using my modified 5/3/1. I also failed a new PR attempt on it. I didn't come close to touching that on my own program but that's because I didn't try for a new PR... maybe next cycle. However with bench I ended up getting 255x4  on July 10th. Prior to that on June 12 I got 240x6. Again... did I get stronger?

Well, I'd like to say so considering all the weight I moved before I did that 255x4 as compared to the 240x6. Here's how it went: 3x3 at 240, 4x2 at 245, then 5x1 at 255 with the last being a rep out.

Yes. I got stronger on this program.

What else didn't I like? Well it might sound weird, but I honestly felt like I could do a lot more singles most of the time. That's why I added the rep out on Friday for my squats and at the last work set on week three for bench and press. But, this next cycle I'm going to rep out the last set each bench and press workout instead of just doing it for week three.

Honestly there were some Mondays and Wednesdays that I had to refrain from destroying myself in the gym knowing full well that I would have that opportunity come Friday with my rep outs.

Do I recommend it? Yes I do.

Am I biased? Yes I am.

Should you do this? Unless you're me... probably not. But if you choose to do so, please let me know. That way I can try talk you out of it if you're not ready.

If you do and if you get hurt it is your own damn fault. I'm not recommending this to anyone. I'm just showing all my readers what is possible.

Overtraining? Yeah... right. 








No comments:

Post a Comment