Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Swole Log: Entry Two

This blog isn't really used to log what I'm doing personally in my pursuit of swole. However, from time to time I may put up some information for the readers of this blog so that they may understand how I swole, and possibly consider a new way to swole.

In Swole Log: Entry One I outlined how I had modified Jim Wendler's wildly popular 5/3/1 routine in order to allow for a second squat day per week; as well as making some changes to accessory work. I'm not going to go into detail here as Entry One sums it up pretty well, although briefly. 

At the time of writing this I am now half way through the de-load week of my second cycle on my modified 5/3/1 program. I feel it has done me well. Although admittedly, I did do a lot more extra work besides the prescribed reps and accessory work... however, I feel that didn't make too much of a difference. I now feel comfortable writing my own program and have done so. 

Here's the jist of it:

Squat on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Bench on Tuesday. 
Press on Thursday.
Weekends "off." (Although as a realist, I'll probably do some glamour workouts on Saturday.)

I'm going to be using the bench as a secondary "accessory" exercise for pressing and the same vice versa. So for example on pressing days I would do the prescribed sets/reps, maybe some more pressing or behind the neck pressing, then move on to a bench variation; maybe something like close grip, incline, ect.

I can hear you now... "But gzcl, when do you deadlift? You didn't drop the deadlift did you!??!" 

Shut your whore mouths. No, of course not. But this program is focused on my personal weakness, the squat. As such, it is squat centric and for the time being deadlifting will be taking a back seat; which I call "accessory work." If I feel like I can pull some deadlifts, then I'll pull some. I'll attack that bar as if it were a bunch of Germans in the battle of Belleau Wood and I'm the goddamned 6th Marine Regiment. 

Believe me, deadlifts will be done. They will be destroyed.

Both sumo and conventional, my bitches. 

Now to the fun part. The sets/rep scheme and programmed weights. 


Four weeks long. Three different weights per lift and the working weights are based off of a "training max" which is 90% of your estimated or actual max... and that's kinda where the similarities between this and 5/3/1 end. As you notice the weights are a lot higher than what is called for in Wendler's program. Here's why:

Week 1:
3x3 @ 87.5% 
3x2 @ 90%
3x1 @ 92.5%

Week 2:
3x3 @ 90%
3x2 @ 92.5%
3x1 @ 95%

Week 3:
3x3 @ 92.5%
3x2 @ 95%
3x1 @ 97.5%

Week 4: Deload
40% x10
50% x10
60% x10
70% x10

Basically it's 3/2/1 if you'd want to call it that. Except if you notice, on Wednesday there's an extra set of doubles, making that day this: 3x3, 4x2, 3x1. Then on Friday the doubles are still there but there are also two extra singles, making that day: 3x3, 4x2, 5x1.

Confusing? Not so much. Chances are you're just retarded. 

The sets/reps are increased each workout for squats and weekly for bench and press. Again, this isn't a damn balanced program. It focuses on my weakness, the squat. 

"But what about accessory work gzcl?!" 

Shut up. Just shut the fuck up. 

If you don't know what you should do for accessory work chances are you should probably still be on Starting Strength. The way I'm going to run my accessory work will be generally as such: Higher reps for moderate sets, so maybe 5x10, 4x8, 3x12... fucking whatever I feel like depending on the particular exercise and what kind of mood I'm in that day. Maybe I'll want to squat more for accessory work. Great, maybe I'll do 5x5 @ 70% or  maybe a widowmaker. Hell, maybe I'll want to do some deadlifts followed up by some GHR work and then ten thousand back handsprings. 

It's my life and I'll swole how I want. 

Eventually I would like to use this same program but possibly increase the total number or reps. This is my trial run. I'll reevaluate my shit after a cycle or two of this.

Will it work? I don't know. I don't see why not... but hey, there is the possibility that I'm a complete idiot and this will break me completely (very unlikely) or my lifts will go no where (also unlikely by my estimations). 


Probably. 

If you've got questions. I've got answers. 

Oh, and if you're wondering if I have some fancy fucking name for this program. Some easily rememberable title for it. A catchy code that some forum strength guru can spout off... 

No. No I do not. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a goddamned strength coach. Hell, I'm not even an elite class lifter. I've been lifting for less than four fucking years. You'd be a goddamned idiot to take my advice or even attempt this program. Do something that a PROFESSIONAL has written up because they know their shit, at least we hope so, much more than I do. 










1 comment:

  1. I actually managed to grow 3.2 inches taller within 8 weeks. My friends couldn’t believe how different I looked, and some of them were jealous. With this the nutritional food, regular exercise, physician consultancy is also required. I used the following link to get info.

    For more info please click on the following link: How To Program Increase Height

    Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete