Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Visit to the Leanest State in the Union.

Oh, Colorado... How I love thee.

Here I am, on a short trip back "home" to visit friends and family, in the beautiful state of Colorado. A reason I might like this place so much is because it seems that most of the people here seem to take their health a little more seriously.  Makes me feel like I'm at home with my people.

But that's not necessarily true. Colorado is full of runners, cyclist, and general outdoor "enthusiasts." I have nothing against them, to each their own, but I can't help but notice the passed judgement from these endurance type athletes... they're not what we would call "swole."

Just the other day I was in Starbucks ordering an iced coffee and the place was packed full of guys and gals in their cycling garb. While I was ordering there were whispers and a few laughs. I happened to hear a few of their swole-hateful comments.

"Muscle bound."

"Freak."

"Non-functional."

"Steroids."

and the worst of all...

"Creatine."

It took everything within me to not turn around and start telling them how terrible they were for judging me. Reminding them that while I choose one lifestyle, they choose another, and those choices have physical demands on our bodies and affect our body type as a consequence. This is America; I have a right to be swole just as they have a right to not be. But none of us have a right to judge one another for the presence or lack of swole.

But I didn't do that. I didn't want to perpetuate the "roid-rage" myth we swole-folk know all to well. Just because I have muscles and strength doesn't mean that when I get angry it is a result of my supposedly using steroids.

It's sad that we have to forfeit our human right to feel anger because society believes it to be rooted in some type of behavioral problem tied to substance abuse.

The good news is that I have a safe haven to run to when the ostracism and swole-hate gets too much. Arm Burst Pro Gym is my safe place. Filled with fellow swole types, I feel at home there.

Oh, Colorado... How I love thy obesity statistics and purple mountain majesty yet feel saddened by the swole-hate perpetuated by your endurance inclined citizens.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing !
    When it comes to Health, Safety and Environment solutions, Poshe Solutions Pvt. Ltd is the leading institute for all international safety courses.
    Nebosh course in chennai
    Nebosh courses in chennai
    Nebosh in Chennai
    Nebosh IGC in Chennai
    Iosh Ms in Chennai
    Iosh courses in Chennai

    ReplyDelete